Most alcohol addicts might not know they are addicted. The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism estimates that 16.6 million Americans over the age of 18 have an alcohol use disorder. They assert that 17% of men and 8% of women will experience alcohol dependency in their lives. These statistics illustrate the necessity for early alcohol abuse diagnosis and rehabilitation. But how does one decipher between a night on the town and alcohol dependency? We list key signs of alcohol addiction, so you can help yourself or a loved one.
Signs of Alcohol Addiction:
- High Tolerance for Alcohol – Those addicted to alcohol need a higher quantity to achieve the buzz they crave. When the body processes alcohol at a constant rate, it becomes accustomed to the effects, thus needing more to achieve a drunken state.
- Drinking Interferes with Work and Responsibilities – Does the person you suspect of abusing alcohol shirk work duties or fail to uphold their promises? Has this person neglected their responsibilities to family and friends because of alcohol? If so, they may suffer from alcohol addiction.
- Inability to Control the Amount of Alcohol Consumed – Most people with alcohol dependency cannot control how much they consume. They believe they can stop at any time, but are unable to do so.
- Drink as a Coping Mechanism – Do you find yourself reaching for a drink any time life gets stressful? Do you consume alcohol during the good times and the bad? Using alcohol as a coping mechanism can indicate addiction.
- Experience Withdrawals – When a person is addicted to alcohol, they suffer withdrawals when the body does not have drinks in it. Symptoms of withdrawal include shaky / sweaty hands, nausea, and headaches.
If you believe you or your loved one display one or more of these symptoms, you may need to consider alcohol addiction as the cause. If you do discover dependency, contact our New Jersey alcohol recovery program. We have comprehensive services that target addiction and help you overcome it. Call today at (973) 380-0905 or refer a client.