People often associate having an alcoholic beverage, such as champagne, with celebrations. Now that February is here and Valentine’s Day is around the corner, you might even see commercials on TV depicting couples enjoying a romantic dinner with a glass of wine, or a bottle of champagne paired with a box of chocolates and red roses. However, while it might seem natural or expected to celebrate Valentine’s Day with a drink, it is absolutely unnecessary to do so. There are numerous ways to shower the one you love with affection that do not involve breaking your commitment to sobriety.
This year, and for every year after, redefine Valentine’s Day for yourself and understand that love does not require a drink. Below is a list of tips that will help get you through Valentine’s Day without touching any of the bubbly:
- Not everyone is in a relationship, but if you happen to have someone with whom you want to spend this day, do something nice for them. Consider spoiling him or her with a lavish meal that you cook from scratch or if you would rather not cook, make a reservation at a nice restaurant. Just remember that your meal does not have to be accompanied with wine, champagne, or any other alcoholic beverages.
- Get in touch with the great outdoors. Valentine’s Day is about romance and what could be more romantic than going out for a hike to take in the beauty of nature and all it has to offer. If the weather is too chilly for outdoor exploration, go to an indoor shopping mall and get your significant other a gift. If you are single, treat yourself to something. You deserve it!
- Along the same lines as the previous tip, regardless if you are in a relationship, it would be a wonderful idea to buy yourself Valentine’s Day present. This day is about love and that also includes self-love. It does not have to be expensive. In fact, it can be as small or grand as you want it to be as long as it makes you happy.
- Valentine’s Day is vastly different for children than it is for adults. For young ones, it is all about chocolate, candy hearts, and cute little pre-made Valentine’s Day cards. Enjoy what it feels like to be a kid again and hand out Valentine’s Day cards to those you care about the most and get yourself a few chocolate goodies to nibble on.
- In the end, Valentine’s Day only lasts for a day. If you just want to spend it as you would any other day, go for it. Follow your usual routine and let it pass without ceremony. You are under no obligation to celebrate this holiday if it is only going to stress you out or pressure you into engaging in harmful behavior.
Drug & Alcohol Rehabilitation in New Jersey
If you are currently struggling to overcome your addiction and are ready to take serious steps to reclaim your life and health, you need to turn to a team that has the skill, compassion, and resources to help. Turning Point in New Jersey helps thousands of people confront their drug and alcohol addiction every year. We know that everyone who seeks our help is different, so we seek to provide a variety of treatment programs, including detoxification programs, outpatient programs, and transitional living.
Begin your road to recovery today and contact us at (973) 380-0905 to learn more about how Turning Point can help you.